Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year

When I look back on 2013, I think of a year that was good. Plenty of happiness. A year that nothing super or amazing occurred, nor anything terrible or awful happen to my immediate family.

The last couple of months have been a little challenging. We have a couple young children that haven't allowed us the opportunity to get much sleep. This, in and of itself, isn't the worst thing. On top of sleep deprivation, though, we had several small events. Last month our then 14 month old baby began wheezing and was treated for bronchiolitis. She did fine, but it was very scary to be on constant watch to make sure she was breathing okay. The first day I was home with my sick baby girl we also had to have roofers come out to fix a leak that was repeatedly damaging our ceiling. About a week after that, my 3 year old and I got a GI bug, leaving  us both vomiting for the weekend. The next week I slid on ice and wrecked my car. And when we got home our house was quite chilly; our furnace in need of a repair. At this point, I just thought to myself, "Wow, really?"

But, truly, these are all really small things. If I hadn't just written them down, I might not remember all of them next year at this time. Yes, it was scary having a child with a breathing problem so I don't think I'll forget that. It was also scary wrecking my car. But I was alone in the car, no other cars were involved, and I wasn't hurt in the least. There has been some hassle dealing with repairmen and frustration having to dig into our savings account. But none of these things are life changing. We are lucky. 

It's okay that we had a couple months of a rough patch to end 2013. It was still a good year. I also spent a large portion of the year with wrist pain so bad that it required surgery. That took its toll on my husband, as well, who had to do even more around the house during that time. But we are, thankfully, through that now. It's also okay that nothing extraordinary happened in 2013. 

In 2013 I got to watch my 2 little girls grow and thrive. Amelia took her first steps and uttered her first words. Autumn got potty trained, learned nearly all the letters and sounds of the alphabet and also learned how to do an incredible number of things independently. Both of my kids took their first airplane ride and had a wonderful vacation. One that, 6 months later, Autumn is still talking about today. Additionally, many of our friends and family welcomed their own bundles of joy into the world in 2013. And there's nothing better than that.

For those around me who had an extraordinary 2013, I hope it continues in 2014. For those around me who had a difficult 2013, I pray God will give them more peace and joy, less pain and fear in 2014. For 2014 I have no resolutions. I only hope for another good year. Another year of happiness and health for me, my family and friends and for you.

Happy New Year!