Saturday, October 4, 2014

Our Favorite Childrens Books: Halloween and Fall

 photo 1534f5b2-807f-4abb-a8a0-7e94fac94625_zpsd71ce00b.jpg
 


One of our favorite things to do as a family is read together. It's something we have done ever since my daughter was a week old. You see, my first child was hospitalized for the first week of her life. When we got home from the hospital I realized I had yet to read her a story. It made me sad that our lives had involved needle sticks and worry and not reading books. But at one week old I read to her from our small story book collection and we haven't stopped since. We read each night as part of our night time routine and the girls often ask for stories multiple times throughout the day. Our book collection has grown significantly in four years and it's so fun to watch the girls delight over their favorites, memorize large portions of books and just have an overall joy of reading. 

For this reason, I have decided to share some of our family's favorite children's books in a series that will include a new topic for each post. I occasionally mention books in posts such a my gardening with kids and Father's Day posts so I will include those in this series too.

My very first topic is:

Halloween and Fall

 I found most of these books at a garage sale. They were from a retired preschool teacher (apparently named Aubrey). Talk about a perfect find!!


This is a simple and great book that talks about all the fun things you can do with leaves!



All about growing pumpkins from the very beginning until trick or treat time!


One of my favorite things this time of year are apples! And this is a great book to go through the entire process of how apples grow and includes zoomed in pictures with the scientific names. Fantastic learning book!
 

  
Who doesn't love the Berenstain Bears? I grew up with this wonderful family of bears and love sharing these stories with my girls today. The Halloween addition has a great moral that looks can be deceiving! 


  
 Another great apple story! This is one of three of the books featured with a great illustrator, Shari Halpern. 


The reason behind the leaves changing colors is pretty fascinating to kids and this story tells it well. It has a few repeat statements for better learning. I love that it has illustrations of many different types of leaves with the names included so we can find the different leaves while out on walks and then identify them.





  This is one of our family's all time favorite fall stories. I had a 1 month old and 23 month old in October of 2012 and I feel like we read this story daily (or more) during our long snuggles on the couch that year. It has a great story line but also just brings back all those happy memories.

Those our favorite Halloween and fall children's books! What are your favorites?

Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr


If you enjoyed this post be sure to Connect with Me so you don't miss the next post!
 photo google_zps8428f2e2.png photo bloglovin_zps732c9903.png photo pinterest_zps38a29db3.png photo twitter2_zpsc472d9f3.png

 You can also subscribe by e-mail from the main page and have posts 
delivered directly to your inbox!