Thursday, February 26, 2015

Frozen Hot Cocoa


One day last week I was just scrolling through my Facebook feed when I saw a photo of blue hot cocoa with blue sprinkles! It was Frozen themed hot cocoa! I immediately new my girls would love it. I mean, how could they not? It was Frozen and chocolate! And then my heart sank. We have recently started my youngest on a dairy-free diet due to several issues she was having with dairy. As I read through the instructions I realized I wouldn't have necessarily wanted to spend the time melting down white chocolate and adding it to the cow's milk, anyway. I thought for a moment and decided we could easily make this special treat and keep it dairy- free. 

Our version of the hot cocoa is just hot coco - as in coconut milk! It's still a super sweet treat, lots of fun and actually, quite healthy! 

Here's what you'll need:


- 4 ounces of vanilla flavored coconut milk (I recommend Silk brand)
- 1 drop of blue food coloring
- mini marshmallows
- blue sprinkles

After a lot of hard work of building a snow man and attempting to eat all of the snow in our front yard, my girls were ready to come inside and enjoy a warm drink. First, we heated the coconut milk to a good temperature for a 2 and 4 year old (either in the microwave or in a sauce pan on the stove, your choice). Then, add one drop of blue food coloring to the heated coconut milk.
                                                   
Little hands having lots of fun stirring in the food coloring. I was surprised that one drop was all that was needed to make this pretty Frozen blue color.
 Next, add the delicious mini-marshmallows. I think half 
of them went into the glass and the other half
went directly into  their mouths!





 













Next, add the blue sprinkles. We really lucked out because we had sprinkles from Christmas-time that were just the perfect blue color and another kind that were blue and white snow flakes. I'm sure any blue sprinkles would work just fine and be super cute. Please note that close observation of the sprinkling is encouraged or half of the container may end up in the glass (that may or may not have happened to us!).




And the final step is the taste test!





My girls absolutely loved making and drinking this delicious (and super healthy) hot "coco." I'm so happy we were able to find a way to make this dairy-free so my little Frozen fans could enjoy it! You may have noticed several different outfits and that's because we have done this a few times now because they enjoy it so much!




I hope your little snow bunnies and Frozen fans will enjoy this as much as mine do!

Will your family try this? If so, let me know what they think and what changes you made! I always love hearing other people's variations on fun food and drinks!


If you enjoyed this post be sure to Connect with Me so you don't miss the next post!


 photo google_zps8428f2e2.png photo bloglovin_zps732c9903.png photo pinterest_zps38a29db3.png photo twitter2_zpsc472d9f3.png

 You can also subscribe by e-mail from the main page and have posts 
delivered directly to your inbox!