Thursday, January 29, 2015

For The Last 5 Years

I have used my body to nourish another human being for the last 5 years...straight. It's not something I planned or predicted. In fact, if you would have told me 5 years ago that I would be using my body to nourish a child for 5 years straight, I'm not sure I would have even believed you.

But that is exactly what happened. In January of 2010, I became pregnant with my first child. I was pregnant with my first baby for 41 and a half weeks and had her in October of 2010. That sweet girl came into the world and changed my life forever. Changed my life in ways that were unimaginable. She started breastfeeding within minutes of being born and she nursed with gusto from that point on.

In December of 2011, when my first baby was 13 months old, I found out I was pregnant with our second child. It was at this point that I was actually pregnant and breastfeeding at the same time.

My oldest, Autumn, weaned completely about a week before she turned 15 months old. (Her weaning is a story all of it's own.) I went on to carry her little sister for over 40 weeks and had her in September of 2012. That's when I began my not-yet-ending nursing journey with my 2nd baby. My husband and I would joke about which baby liked to nurse more. Since my youngest, Amelia, initially only nursed in 5 minute increments, I was certain it was her big sister that loved it the most. The baby seemed to nurse for its necessity, while Autumn seemed to just live for those extra snuggles. That all changed though. Once Amelia was a little older, she begin to nurse for much longer sessions and has continued nursing for a much longer time. We have had more hours worth of snuggles than I can possibly count.

Today, at almost two and a half years old, Amelia is still nursing. I, again, never really expected to be nursing a 2 year old. I also never really put that much thought into it. She only nurses once a day at night time. I will ask her if she is ready to be done with mommy's milk and she tells me no. She is not ready to stop. There was a time a few months back that I thought she was almost done; she was nursing for shorter periods of time and not asking every night and I was a little sad. But then she suddenly went back to her normal nightly feeds.  She asks me each night to go sit in the chair that I have been nursing her in for over 2 years. When I ask her if she wants to snuggle, she says, "no, Mommy's mik."  The good thing about this is that I know I won't be as sad when she is ready to be done. It will just be time.

I had the privilege to use my body to provide nourishment to Autumn for 2 full years (9 plus months of pregnancy and nearly 15 months of breastfeeding). And I have had the privilege to use my body to provide nourishment to Amelia for over three years now. 

Five years. A woman's body is truly an amazing thing. I never knew what this body was capable of. I feel incredibly lucky to have been able to do this as I know that so many women are unable to do it. I also promise I'm not bragging and I know there are many women who would never want to do this for 5 years straight (which is perfectly reasonable). 

I am just happy and proud that I have been on this amazing journey with my girls.


 

If you enjoyed this post be sure to Connect with Me so you don't miss the next post!


 photo google_zps8428f2e2.png photo bloglovin_zps732c9903.png photo pinterest_zps38a29db3.png photo twitter2_zpsc472d9f3.png

 You can also subscribe by e-mail from the main page and have posts 
delivered directly to your inbox!